Thursday, March 10, 2011

Coconut Lime Banana Bread

I have found that people seem to have a love-hate relationship with coconut. There are those who, like me, LOVE it and will choose to eat something simply because the word coconut it used to describe it, and there are those who HATE it, usually blaming it on the texture. Well, if you hate coconut, this post is not for you. I recently found this recipe, and for the reason stated above, I just had to make it. And let me tell you, it is delicious! I love banana bread and have made and tried several different kinds, but never with coconut. If you are a fan, trust me, you will love this!!!

Coconut Lime Banana Bread

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup softened butter
2 eggs
1 - 1 1/2 cups smashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
3 tbs apple juice or apple sauce
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1 tbs coconut to sprinkle on top

Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
approximately 1 1/2 tbs fresh lime juice

Mix flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl, then set aside

Mix eggs, butter and sugar in mixer. Add mashed bananas, yogurt, apple (juice or sauce), vanilla and coconut. Then add the dry ingredients, mix on low speed just until moist. Pour in greased (I just used Pam) bread pan. Sprinkle the top with 1 tbs coconut. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour (my oven always cooks faster so mine took about 45 minutes - and about half way through I covered it with foil because the top was getting really brown).

While the bread is cooking, make the glaze. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime and add powdered sugar until its a slightly runny consistency.

When the bread is done, cool for 5 minutes, slide out of bread pan and drizzle the glaze over your warm bread.

Voila! Enjoy!!!




(Recipe courtesy of this fabulous blog...www.dana-made-it.com)

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I don't cook/bake ever, but this looks incredible (although I'd be the only person in our house to eat it). I'm going to print it out, and maybe someday, I will make it. Sounds like it would be great for a late morning baby shower or something!

Meredith said...

I'm with you...LOVE coconut! Will definitely try that!

Megan said...

That definitely looks yummy! I'll have to give you my coconut cake recipe - you would probably LOVE it!