Friday, February 26, 2010
From Trash to Treasure
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this but I have been known to dumpster dive from time to time. Now, I'm certainly not a 'regular' at this and I absolutely NEVER go rooting through trashcans or dumpsters in my spare time, but a couple of times I have seen something on the side of the road that someone is throwing out and picked it up. Back in college I was living in a townhouse and took the walk to the corner to throw our trash away and sitting there was a beautiful dresser. Well, I guess 'beautiful' is not the right word to describe it because one look at it and you could definitely tell why someone wanted to throw it away but I could see potential in it. I am obsessed with organization and love dressers and shelves and baskets, etc. So this new lovely dresser became a weekend project for my dad and I to fix up. We took out all the drawers, built some shelves inside, cut out some of the crazy detailing on the sides and bottom, then sanded it, primed it and painted it. For many years it was in my bedroom, our family room after Matt and I got married and most recently was in our guestroom. I loved the red color that I painted it, but as we are getting ready for our second little munchkin to arrive, we are doing a lot of cleaning out and organizing so my wonderful dresser needed to find a new home. I don't have a picture anymore of the way the original dresser looked, but here you can see it going from red to white, with pretty baskets and a new place in the landing at the top of our stairs. It houses all of my sewing and crafting stuff, it's perfect!
.JPG)

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are so talented! It looks like something out of a Pottery Barn catalog!
Post a Comment